Monday 12 December 2011

JAVA FERN (Microsorum Pteropus)

Java fern (Microsorum pteropus) is an easy plant to grow in your tank; but based on my experience, I've failed to keep this plant previously. The plants turn brownish and melt away, but some plantlets appeared on the malted leaves. This is how Java fern reproduces new plants. Some aquarists argue that Java fern dislikes strong light, prefering low or dim light instead; whereas others have proved that Java fern do like high light and can thrive sucessfully ... perhaps it depends on water chemistry (but I'm not a chemist!). I went to Pahang recently and saw this Java fern growing in their natural habitat. Here are some of my photos of Java fern in their natural habitat:
Crypt. affinis growing in the water, but out of view
took some of these for my tank



these are growing on the edge of the stream





 

2 comments: